Support for Ukraine community update for hosts in South Cambridgeshire, as well as District Councillors, community coordinators and parish council colleagues.
We would like to reassure hosts that while our communications on any updates to the Homes for Ukraine scheme may now be more intermittent, we are committed to continuing our support for you in this crucial role while the war in Ukraine continues.
This week we have one note for you regarding clarification on host payments and have also included some of the regular reminders we are sending to your guests for your information.
Payments can only be made if the total number of days a guest is with their host in their first and last months combined is 16 days or more. The day the guest leaves is not included.
- The guest arrived on 30 June 2022 – payment would not have been made for June 2022. They leave on 13 July 2023. The guests are treated as being with the host for 1 day in the first month and 12 days in the last month. As this period is less than 16 days, the last month to be paid would be June 2023.
- The guest arrived on 26 June 2022 – payment would not have been made for June 2022. They leave on 15 July 2023. The guests are treated as being with the host for 5 days in the first month and 14 days in the last month. As this period is more than 16 days, the last month to be paid would be July 2023.
- The guest arrived on 12 June 2022 – payment was made for June 2022 as they are with the host for the first month for more than 16 days. They leave on 15 July 2023. The guests are treated as being with the host for 14 days in the last month. As this period is less than 16 days, they will not receive a payment for July and the last month to be paid would be June 2023.
If you need further clarification on this, please contact email@example.com
We thought we would also take this opportunity to make you aware of some of the useful information which is available on the Council website for your guests. It can be found in the Guest Information Hub covering Financial advice and support, Local travel support, Access to health and wellbeing services, Access to education and childcare, Hobbies and leisure activities and Moving On.
- Cambridge Russian-Speaking Society (CamRuSS) runs a helpline for guests and hosts with a translation service. Call 05603 025975 (9am-6pm weekdays, 10am-5pm Saturdays).
- Support for Families with Young Children Leaflets in English and Ukrainian are available for Ukrainian families with younger children to understand more about childcare choices in Cambridgeshire.
- Free clothes at Sawston pop-up clothes shop: A pop-up shop at Sawston Free Church, High Street CB22 3BG, provides donated good quality clothing for Ukrainian guests and is open 2nd and 4th Friday of the month 4pm-6pm.
- Support to find a job for ages 15-24: Young guests aged 15-24 can access career guidance, apprenticeship advice, CV writing and interview preparation, online resources to training courses, and more. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org, see Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Region of Learning – Contact Form (office.com)
- Cambridge Online Job Skills Club: Cambridge Online aims to help Ukrainian refugees learn new skills and how to apply for employment in the UK. Email email@example.com or call 01223 300407.
- Free courses from WEA: The Workers’ Educational Association (WEA) runs courses which Ukrainian guests can join for free if they meet the criteria. See wea.org.uk or call 0300 303 34 64.
- Free digital help sessions: Bar Hall Library offers free drop-in digital help sessions on Mondays from 10.00-12.00. No need to book.
- Community Forum Offering Help: Cambridge Ethnic Community Forum gives advice and support to Ukrainians on housing issues, finding a job, ESOL classes, education, access to public services and benefits. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01223 655241.
- Barnardo’s Ukrainian Support Helpline: Children’s charity Barnardo’s has a Ukrainian Support Helpline open Monday–Friday 10.00-20.00 or Saturday 10.00-15.00. Call freephone on 0800 148 8586 or email to email@example.com
A range of free or special offers are also available for Ukrainian guests:
- Better Health Centre (Off-Peak) membership
- Bizbike Community E-bike Service free rides
- Free bikes and Cycling UK (digital-only membership)
- Free Laptops
- Library membership
- Free admission to National Trust properties
- Small Grants to help reduce social isolation for guests
We continue to be extremely grateful for your support of Ukrainian guests and thank you for taking the time to read this latest update.
Lead Cabinet Member for Communities
South Cambridgeshire District Council